Beet Beet Beet Kvass
servings: 6 - 8 // prep time: 10 minutes
- 2 whole beetroots (if non organic peel, otherwise leave skin on)
- 330ml bottle 'Original' Yogi Beer Kombucha
- 1 tbsp sea or Himalayan salt
- filtered water
- Wash 2L glass jar with apple cider vinegar and warm/hot water to sterilise and allow to dry.
- Cut beetroot into chunks and place into sterilised 2L glass jar, add salt.
- Fill jar with original kombucha and top up with filtered water to the top of the jar.
- Cover the top of the jar with cheese cloth use a rubber band to secure the cloth.
- Leave jar on the bench at room temperature for 4 to 7 days. The warmer the weather the faster the ferment, the colder the weather the slower the ferment.
- Once fermented, remove the cloth and strain into a glass bottle to be refrigerated.
- Consume beer kvass as a tonic either first thing in the morning or 20 minutes before food to boost your digestive enzymes. You can also use it as a salad dressing.
- Use fermented beetroot in dips, see beetroot dip recipe on website or add it to salads.
You can also add garlic, onion, ginger, turmeric a whole variety of ingredients to this recipe when adding beetroot to the jar.
You can also use any kombucha flavour for this ferment.