Carrot Cake with Kombucha Cashew Cheese Icing
servings: 12 cupcakes or 1 cake // prep time: 10 minutes, baking: 30 minutes
1 1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup carrot, grated
1 cup pineapple pieces
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
- Pre heat fan-forced oven to 175'C and line a muffin tray or cake tin.
- Blend oats into a fine flour consistency. Add all other ingredients and blend to combine allowing pineapple, carrot and walnuts to breakdown in batter to make a smoother consistency.
- Pour batter into the muffin cups or cake tin ready to go into the oven.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes check they are cooked with a skewer if it comes out dry they are ready to remove from the oven if not bake for another 5 - 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or if not iced on the bench for a couple of days. Can also freeze the cupcakes.
1 cup raw cashews (soaked)
330ml bottle YogiBeer ginger or hibiscus Kombucha
1/2 cup pineapple juice (I used the leftover juice from the pineapple pieces for the cake)
1/4-1/2 cup coconut cream or yoghurt
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
sprinkle lemon rind
1 tsp vanilla essense
sprinkle sea salt
- Soak raw cashews in kombucha for at least 2 hours or water for 8 hours then drain, rinse and gently dry.
- Add all ingredients into a high speed food processor, nutribullet or similar and blend until smooth, creamy and combined.
- Cover cupcakes or cake once cooled and store in the fridge. Icing will store in the fridge for 5-7 days or you can freeze it however you may need to rebound once defrosted as it may separate a little.
you could also sprinkle desiccated coconut on top of the cake once icing has been layered on.
You can add honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar if the icing isn't sweet enough.
Depending on how thick you want the icing use 1/4 to 1/2 cup coconut cream/yoghurt it will thicken in the fridge.
You can also have this cupcake recipe as chunky or as smooth as you like you control this in that second blending stage when combining all of the cupcake ingredients.